Monday, March 10, 2008

Chettinad Chicken Curry

For some reason I have always been attracted to the word 'chettinad'. Any recipe that has this word tagged to it surely catches my attention. I got this recipe from the internet 5 years back when I was learning to cook. I did try this recipe many times and it always fetched me good comments even from the best critics- my hubby's friends.

After sometime, when I was in the process of shifting to a new place I lost the recipe. Recently when I was cleaning up I found it and I was so happy that I got hold of it. This is a semi-solid gravy that can be eaten mixed with white rice or as an accompaniant for variety rice or rotis.

Ingredients:
Chicken- 2 Lbs. (remove the skin & cut into medium sized pieces)
Salt
Fresh grated coconut- 1 cup
Large onion- 1 (chopped)
Medium tomatoes- 2 (chopped)
Grated ginger- 1inch piece
Garlic- 5 cloves (crushed)
Black pepper- 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder- 2 tsps
Poppy seeds- 2 tsps
Coriander seeds- 2 tsps
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Cinnamon- 1 piece
Cloves- 2
Green cardamom- 2
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Oil- 6 tablespoons
Lime juice- 2 tablespoons
Curry leaves- 2
Chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves

Procedure:
Dry roast the poppy seeds in a pan and crush. Soak it in little water for 10-15 minutes. Then grind the soaked poppy seeds with coconut, fennel, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms & turmeric. Make it into a smooth paste.Heat oil in large pan and fry the onions until golden. Add the ginger, garlic and fry for couple of minutes. Then add the red chili powder and the ground paste. Fry for 5 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and fry for 5 more minutes. Then add the tomatoes and stir-fry for 7-10 minutes. Then add 2 cups of water & salt. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat. Then remove the cover and cook till desired consistency.When it is almost cooked add the lime juice and curry leaves. Fry for 5 more minutes and remove from fire. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve hot.

No comments: