Monday, March 10, 2008

Lemon Paruppu

The time is flying fast. I'm counting days to go to India. B'coz it it a very short time I'm spending more time in planning and less time in kitchen. So, for the next few days it's going to be simple cooking. This dish is just the basic dal but with a little twist. Lemon is what that gives this dal a special taste. I learnt this from my perima (mom's elder sister) who is a great cook. She can turn any ordinary dish into an extraordinary one. This time when I go to India I'll get a good collection of her recipes and post it for all my friends. Meanwhile, enjoy this super-fast comfort food.

Ingredients:
Toor dal- 1 cup(uncooked)
mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
urad dal- 1/4 tsp
jeera seeds- 1/2 tsp
onion- 1/2 (chopped)
red chillies- 2 or 3
garlic- 4 pods(crushed)
curry leaves- few
tomato- 1/4 piece
corriander- 2 tbsp
hing- 1/4 tsp
lemon - 1/2 (juicy one, can add more until you get the dominant taste of lemon)

Procedure:
Pressure cook dal with 2 cups of water, some turmeric and a tsp of oil. In a kadai splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and jeera seeds. Then add onion ,lemon, curry leaves,hing and red chillies. After some time add tomato and corriander leaves. cook till soft. Add cooked dal and mix well. Add required salt and lemon juice. Bring it to one boil. Add a dollop of ghee before serving.

No comments: