Monday, March 10, 2008

Pudhina Pulav

Today I felt a little better after my one week of sickness. I wanted to eat something good but I had no vegetables in my fridge except capsicum ,mint and a potato. So, here is what I came up with. This is the first time I tried pudhina pulav after being tempted by many of my fellow bloggers. I could not decide whether to use only mint or corriander. Finally , I used both 50/50. The end result was too good. My house was filled with good aroma that reached the streets. If you have not tried this before, take my word. Try it. You will not be disappointed. So, here is the recipe...

Ingredients:
Basmathi rice- 2 cups
water- 4 cups
mint- 1 small bunch
corrinder leaves- handfull
garlic- 4 pods
ginger - 1 " piece
coconut- 1/4 cup grated
elachi-2
Cloves-2
bay leaf- 1 big broken
cinnamon stick- 1" (2 pieces)
star anise- 1
fennel- 1 tsp
potato-1

green chillies- 3 or 4
onion- 1/2 sliced
ghee- 1 tbsp

Procedure:
Grind ginger,garlic, mint, corriander leaves, chillies, coconut and fennel seeds. Heat some oil and ghee in pressure cooker. fry all the spices and then onions and potatoes. Then fry the ground paste until you get a good aroma. Don't over-fry it. Just do it until the color changes from deep green to light green. Add required salt and rice. Fry for a few minutes. Add water. Check for seasonings and close the cooker. Wait until the pressure comes. Put the vent and keep the flame on medium. Wait for 10 to 12 mins. Switch off gas and open cooker when the pressure completely subsides. Open cooker and mix well. Finally ,add fried cashews . Serve with onion raitha.

No comments: