Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Vaangi Bhaat and kosambaris

It's been 5 months since I have participated in any event. Actually, this is the second event I'm participating. Most of the time, I come to know about an event after it's deadline only. But this time, Asha gave me lot of reminders and 'Thanks' to her for making me participate in this. so, here goes.

My contribution for RCI: Karnataka hosted by my dear friend Asha.
The dishes I chose are :Vaangi Bhaat, Carrot kosambari, cucumber kosambari and Uddin vade.

Vaangi Bhaat:
For this dish , I followed Asha's recipe exactly. But after doing 'step 2' I did not get a gravy. The masala powder I added absorbed all the liquid. After that I sauted the dry paste with the cooked brinjal for another 5 mins adding 1 tbsp of oil. Other than this, everything else was exactly from her recipe.
This is the first time I'm trying vaangi bhaat and believe me...this tasted so good and smelled awesome. The only thing I would do next time will be , adding a bit of turmeric . 'Thanks' to Asha for sharing her recipe.

Ingredients:
2 Cups Rice, cooked and cooled
2-3 Long purple or green Eggplants cubed
1/4 Cup Tamarind Juice,
Salt1/2 tbsp
sesame Seeds (Til)1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds

Roast and Powder:
2 tbsp Dry Coconut
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tbsp Chana Dal
1 tbsp Urad Dal
2-3 Dry Red Chillies1/2 tsp Hing (asafoetida)

To season:
1 tbsp Oil and Ghee
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1tsp Chana Dal
1 tsp Urad Dal
Curry Leaves
1-2 Dry Red Chillies
1 tbsp Peanuts slightly crushed (optional)

Method:
Fry eggplants with little oil and salt until almost cooked.Keep aside. Season,when peanuts are reddish add tamarind juice, cook until thickish and add in ground masala. Simmer until oil floats on top and add eggplants.Add sugar,salt. Cover and cook until eggplants are tender, you have a nice pasty gravy with a shine! Cool slightly. Mix with rice gently as not to break the eggplants.Adjust the salt.

Note: You can roast coconut and Til seeds seperately, pound slightly,add in the end to mix with rice.

Carrot Kosambari:
Ingredients:
Carrots-2 ( finely grated)
moong dal-1 1/2 tbsp(soaked for 30 mins)
green chillies- 2
corriander leaves- few
coconut- 2 tbsp(grated)
salt- as reqd
lemon juice- (opt)

Procedure:
Mix all the ingredients and season with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves.

Cucumber Kosambari:
Ingredients:
cucumber- 1 (finely chopped)
moong dal-1 1/2 tbsp(soaked for 30 mins)
green chillies- 2
corriander leaves- few
coconut- 2 tbsp(grated
salt- as reqd
lemon juice- (opt)

Procedure:
Mix all the ingredients and season with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves.

No comments: