Friday, March 7, 2008

Okra Potato Curry

Hey Guys! I'm posting this after reading the comments of my fellow bloggers for the okra recipe. I'm really sorry, I never knew this is such a common curry. I also laugh at myself for thinking that I came up with something new. Thanks Guys for enlightening me on this.

Ingredients:
Okra- 20
potato- 1
onion- 1/2(medium,sliced)
tomato- 1/2 (medium,chopped)
salt
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
sambar powder- 1 tsp
cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
curry leaves

Procedure:
Heat oil in kadai and fry mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Then fry onions and okra with some turmeric. Fry until half done. Add potatoes and fry for another 5mins. Add salt and tomatoes. Close and cook for sometime. Add the curry powders and blend well. Keep sauteing now and then, taking care that the curry dosen't stick to pan. Cook till done. finally and curry leaves. Can be served with plain rice,sambar or rotis.

Tip: I usually cut my okra and spread it on a white paper and rest it for 2 to 3 hrs. This helps to reduce the slimyness of the okra. In India , my mom used to spread it on a newspaper overnight. But I'm not sure if the ink on the paper is ok to come in touch with food. So, a plain paper or a brown paper bag does the trick.Try it. You will surely be suprised.

No comments: