Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Varalakshmi Viratham

Varalakshmi Viratham is an important festival celebrated in South India. You can read about this in detail here .

I have been celebrating this festival since my childhood. I grew up in my grandma's house. So, I have seen my aunt doing this every year. When I moved with my parents I continued doing it although my mom does not do it. Even after my marriage, my MIL encouraged me to do it although she has never done it before.
Many of my friends said that I should not do it as my MIL does not have the practice of doing this pooja. But I disagreed on that.

According to me, it's not wrong to do any pooja just b'coz it is not a tradition. I enjoy doing it and here I am doing it for the past 12 years.
Every year it used to be so grand I would call lots of my friends and celebrate it in a big way. But this year it was simple. Just did a payasam and sundal and offered it along with some fruits. I forgot to take pictures of the fruit tray and the thamboolam. Anyway, here are some pictures of my pooja.


No comments: